Redwood City, CA, United States
Crystal Dynamics is looking for an outstanding, talented, and experienced FX Artist. The successful FX Artist will have experience with particle editing, texture creation and real-time materials, and will have both a strong creative and technical background. This FX Artist with be able to conceptualize, present, and execute ideas within a schedule, while actively participating in technical and artistic problem solving, and will be able to partner with multiple disciplines to meet project-specific needs. He or she will be able to quickly understand custom toolsets and deliver assets within the confines of real-time engine constraints and programming demands.
- Create high quality textures and meshes using tools such as Photoshop, After Effects, and Maya
- Work with real-time materials
- Work with Fluid package to create pre rendered sequences and real-time flipbooks.
- Create all aspects of in game VFX from atmosphere to large destructive events
- Communicate with Artists, Designers, and Programmers to work through artistic and technical challenges
- Evaluate and initiate processes and features needed to improve and streamline production
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge:
- Be a self-motivated problem solver
- Understand working within a real-time game engine’s limitations
- Understanding of the principles of art and animation
- Ability to multi task and give accurate time estimates
- Ability to meet strict production deadlines
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Work both as a member of a development team and individually with minimum supervision
- At least 4 years of game industry experience in real-time FX or a related position with at least one shipped AAA title.
- Experience with real-time particle editing in a 3D application or an in-game engine.
- Willingness to work with a proprietary particle tool.
- Previous AAA console development experience, ideally in a photo-realistic aesthetic similar to Crystal Dynamics' previous titles.
* Please note that AAA game development experience will be required for this position and a portfolio will also be required. Portfolios should include samples of FX work of equivalent quality and style of Crystal Dynamics' previous titles. An FX Test may be administered to determine real-time VFX abilities.
- HLSL shader creation experience.
- Animation experience.
- Environment art experience.
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.