Cinematic Environment Artist
Redwood City, CA, United States
The Cinematic Environment Artist works with Art Director, Lead Artists, and Concept Artists to create stunning, realistic 3D interiors and exteriors, specializing in building cinematic sets. The Cinematic Environment Artist works in tandem with the cinematics team to implement the environments for in-game cut-scenes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- The Environmental Artist is responsible for the “look” and artistic integrity of the cinematic scenes.
- Must know the fundamentals of cutting edge 3d graphics techniques including:
- Authoring physics based spaces, High poly modeling (Maya and Zbrush) Baking Normal Maps from high poly to game res mesh
- Shader manipulation
- Modular construction and assembly techniques
- PBR Shader development experience
- Knowledge of baked and dynamic lighting models, Post Effects, etc.
- Use strong drawing, texturing, and lighting skills and an excellent sense of spatial relations and structural logic, to create visually stunning, atmospheric, effective and efficient 3D models of natural and architectural environments
SPECIAL NOTE: A portfolio submission is required for this position.
- 2-4 yrs experience in the game development industry on AAA console titles, and at least one shipped title. Able to showcase a powerful portfolio with a similar style to the latest Tomb Raiderreboot and Rise of the Tomb Raider.
- Strong spatial sense and an eye for good composition
- Microsoft Word, Maya, ZBrush (preferred) and Photoshop experience
- Architecture or traditional art background, cinematography experience is a plus
Please focus this portfolio on personal contributions to your projects. Please include a shot breakdown specifying what you were directly responsible for creating. Considered portfolios should include the following:
- 10-15 best examples of your work (Maya renders in addition to in-game screen shots or video)
- 3-5 Mesh shots (that show efficiency & good work process)
- 3-5 Texture Sheets including albedo, spec and normal maps (that shows correct use of maps, efficient use of UV space and artistic skill)
- Example of lighting, either cinematic or in-game.
An art test may be administered to showcase your ability to create high quality renders within a deadline.Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.