Character Artist - Outsourcing
Redwood City, CA, United States
The Character Artist – Outsourcing will have artistic experience in modeling, texturing and will be able to leverage past experiences towards creating realistic characters for our next AAA title. They will team with the Outsourcing manager to maintain an art bar for the project and work with our external development partners to meet or exceed it.
We are looking for an artist who can communicate about their craft, has an analytical nature, is able to understand art direction and can communicate complex ideas both visually and in writing. While this position is not focused solely around content creation, the artist will have a broad impact on Crystal Dynamics’ products and be hands-on with a scope of work that often exceeds other artist roles. The successful artist should be able to produce content at a high-level, hands on, as needed, as well as train others on how to use our proprietary tools as well as industry-leading art creation techniques. The ideal artist has the drive and motivation to learn the essential skills to be successful. This position is an on-site, permanent role in our Redwood City, CA studio.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with the Art Director, Leads and Outsourcing Manager to establish, maintain and deliver against the art delivery bar for our game projects.
- Provide feedback and direction to external partners on character related assets.
- Create detailed documentation, reference and examples to facilitate the creation of quality deliveries.
- Collaborate with internal teams to create and polish assets.
- Coordinate with production team to track asset creation progress and delivery schedule.
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer
- 5+ years of experience as a character artist with a portfolio demonstrating current-gen 3D art techniques in a realistic style.
- Understanding of current-gen techniques such as photogrammetry and PBR rendering.
- Ability to demonstrate experience and talent in chosen field through examples within packages such as Maya, 3DS Max, Zbrush, Photoshop, Bodypaint, Motion Builder, etc
- Highly organized, self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities and solve problems in a timely manner
- Experience finding solutions to visual, production, and technical challenges.
- Great collaborative skills, rigorous analytical skills and strong creative drive a must.
- Proven track record of strong organizational and communication skills (including interpersonal, writing and editing).
- Proven track record of meeting challenging deadlines.
- The desire to work in a challenging, fast-paced, team focused environment.
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process.
- Previous experience working with external a plus.
- Previous leadership experience a plus.