Lead Multiplayer Systems Designer
Bellevue, WA, United States
Crystal Northwest is a wholly owned extension of Crystal Dynamics, the award winning, AAAA game studio known for iconic game franchises such as Tomb Raider and the upcoming game based on Marvel’s Avengers franchise. Benefits for this permanent, full-time position include a competitive salary, 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance options, with generous amounts of company holidays, paternity leave, and paid time-off.
We are seeking a Lead Multiplayer Systems Designer who has achieved excellence in engaging online multiplayer gameplay for our Crystal Northwest Studio in Bellevue, WA. As Lead Multiplayer Systems Designer, this person is the critical keeper of fun and engaging gameplay for multiple players. They are responsible for the executional quality of the game’s vision through direct contribution and management of the design team to deliver AAAA quality multiplayer gameplay experiences on time and budget.
- Lead, manage, and mentor other designers on the team. Serve as a champion for multiplayer game components for the project.
- Concept, design and implement multiplayer game systems from concept through completion.
- Develop new tools and architecture for future features in the game.
- Document design decisions clearly and communicate to key stake holders.
- Implement and tune multiplayer game play systems within a proprietary authoring system.
- Partner with other studio leads to iterate against the system's goals within allotted time frames.
- Collaborate with other designers and across disciplines to ensure successful integration of gameplay systems into the game.
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong understanding of everything from the fundamentals of game balance and tuning.
- Broad-based understanding about what makes multiplayer levels and systems fun to play.
- Ability to design and develop multiplayer systems from concept to finished product.
- Strong math and balancing skills.
- Excellent knowledge of game design theory and game development concepts.
- Meticulousness in documenting and tuning game systems.
- Ability to communicate and present complex game systems.
- A thorough understanding of contemporary game design.
- A great passion and enthusiasm for designing and playing games.
- 10+ years of game development experience
- Hands-on experience designing multiplayer gameplay systems for highly rated AAA action-adventure titles or 3rd person shooter titles.
- Must have at least one AAA game shipped as a Lead Designer on Multiplayer games.
- Familiarity or experience working within a proprietary game engine.
- Previous experience leading a team through a full development cycle.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Passionate about comics and superheroes.
- Familiar with the Marvel comic or cinematic universes.
Crystal Dynamics and Crystal Northwest are EOE and M/F/D/V Employers.