Redwood City, CA, United States
The Gameplay Camera Designer, working under the Lead Cinematic Designer and/or the Game Director, will be responsible for designing, implementing, and fine-tune the game design cameras and related gameplay in levels and cinematics to ensure a smooth and seamless player experience through a rich and epic narrative experience. A successful Camera Designer will be able to collaborate with Artists and Designers to create tools and camera solutions to create a dynamic and living world. Essential Duties:
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge:
- Create camera systems for use throughout the game.
- Develop strategy to create custom cameras to support the levels and the specific beats of the story.
- Build cameras with a focus on supporting gameplay while delivering a unique artistic aesthetic.
- Script camera behavior to support a dynamic camera system.
- Animate cameras for in-game cut scenes. Work with animators to coordinate animations that support a particular shot breakdown.
- Work with level designers and artists on level layouts that support cameras.
- Work with level designers and lead designer to make sure the scripted cameras are supporting the memorable moments.
- Work with combat designer to script and design combat cameras.
- Work with the character team to script and design the traversal cameras.
- Work with programmers to improve the camera toolset and debug camera issues.
- Ability to work well within a team environment.
- Ability to place assigned work within the project as a whole and coordinate with other Designers to ensure a seamless player experience.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Current on industry trends as it relates to modern game design and level design concepts.
- Ability to document visual map design and written walkthroughs quickly and concisely in a provided specification format.
- Ability to work closely with all project disciplines to ensure clear communication, troubleshooting and efficiency.
- Solid understanding of game art and processes to help in the development of workflow schedules and prioritization
- Capacity to ramp up quickly with custom toolsets and deliver assets within the confines of real time engine constraints and programming demands.
- 3-5 years of game design experience in a camera design role, specifically for 3rd person action adventure titles.
- At least 1 project shipped for a AAA console title in a design capacity.
- Demonstrable understanding of scripting systems required.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.